Friday 16 November 2012

What to wear...

One of my greatest passions is packing.  Hubs and I always laugh that I "get to" pack for him when we travel.  So obviously what to wear has been on my mind since we bought the tickets over six months ago.

Hubs is from a small "town" (a mere 900,000 people) and so the people and customs are more conservative there.  For the last six months Hubs and I have been having a reoccurring disscussion on what I should wear.  Now Hubs HATES these conversations that go around and around and so he kind of mostly doesn't participate in them, which leaves me confused and without an answer and so it comes up again...... and again.... and again....  Lets just say we were lucky we had a girl or Poohpers might still not have a name.

I will summarize the last 6 months of conversation for you.

Me - What should I wear in India?
Hubs - Wear whatever you want.
Me- Really, cause I emailed your sister and she said I should dress Indian.
Hubs - Well, you really should dress Indian.
Me - So what would that be?
Hubs - You know, what Indians wear.
Me - Like a Sari?
Hubs - No, young Indian women don't really wear Sari's anymore.
Me - Okay, so I should buy those tops/dresses things?
Hubs - Yes.
Me - I can buy them in Salem right?
Hubs - No, you should buy them in the city, they will be more stylish.
Me - So, we are going to disembark from the flight and go shopping right away?
Hubs - No, there won't be any time to shop before we go to Salem.
Me - So I should buy outfits in Salem.
Hubs - No, they won't be stylish, you don't want to buy them there.
Me - So should I buy them before we go?
Hubs - No, that doesn't make sense.
Me - So I should wear western clothes for the first week and buy those shirt thingies when we drop my parents off at the airport in the city?
Hubs - Yes.
Me - So for the first week, what should I wear?
Hubs - Wear whatever you want.
Me - Okay, I'm going to wear something I already have until we can buy something in the city.  What about shorts?
Hubs - No, shorts aren't appropriate.
Me - Okay, what about this skirt? (models skirt)
Hubs - No, that's too high school.
Me - Too high school?  What do you mean.
Hubs - That it's too high school.
Me - Okay, what about this skirt? (models another skirt)
Hubs - Yeah, it'd be okay, I guess.
Me - So it's not too high school?
Hubs - No.
Me - Okay, so what's the difference?
Hubs - This one is longer, I can't see your knees.
Me - Okay...so I should wear pants?
Hubs - Wear whatever you want.
Me - Can I wear this?
Hubs - No.
Me - Should I buy some khakis or cargos? Is that too casual, seems casual to me.
Hubs - I don't think people will have an opinion on what you wear.
Me - Maybe I'll go naked.....

3 comments:

  1. Omg, I'm going to have to fly out there and bitch slap him, aren't I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have enough trouble packing for travelling in North America. I can't even imagine trying to pack for an entirely different culture. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete