Wednesday 17 October 2012

The First Post!

Well, here it is, my first blog post about our trip to India this Christmas.  I figure things will be pretty slow at the start, but that I will eventually bumble into enough entertaining stories to post.  If not, I can at least post interesting pictures.

I will now introduce the main characters.

Me: white on the outside, brown on the inside.  Born and raised in small town Ontario.  I tend to bumble my way through my life in a charming way that entertains those close to me.

Hubby:  brown on the outside, white on the inside.  Loves his Indian food, loves his family, but loves the brooding grey environment of his adopted Canada.  All around great guy, which prompted some of my contemporaries to ask the "obvious" question if he was marrying me for citizenship.  The answer is no, he was Canadian before he met me, he's just apparently odder than he seems.

Daughter:  "Poohpers" a nickname that evovled from my husband's need to call everything cute "poo poo" much to my mother's chagrin.  Will be turning 2 during our visit to India where she will meet her Ajima for the first time.  We haven't decided if she's white or brown yet, but so far she's leaning to the toasty side.  She speaks Daddy's native tongue, loves Indian music and Indian food, but is a huge baby when it comes to spicy hot.  If anything remotely medium in spice touches her tongue she points at it and cries like a baby.  Consequently, she eats a lot of yogurt.

My Parents:  White bread as they come.  To their credit they are world travelers and have traveled more and farther than I could ever hope to, but for this trip, food will be the most interesting (ahem, entertaining) part of the trip.  My mother is more adventurous than my father, but I'm pretty sure Poohpers get's her spice tolerance from my Mom.  The "aroma" of spicy makes her break out in a sweat and gasp for water, Water, WATER!  My dad is the traditional meat and potatoes kind of guy.  Coming to our house for dinner gives him anxiety.  My Mom told me it took her years to get him to eat rice because he insisted that it was a desert.  Think "rice" pudding.

The Niece:  White bread third generation.  "Sally" has just turned 11 and actually asked to come on this trip with Grandma and Grandpa.  She was the only white person (I don't count) at our wedding that wore a sari.  I think it will be a good trip for her BUT she finds EVERYTHING disgusting.  She can't bring herself to sit near or even look at our messy daughter when she eats, instead she hides and repeats ew, ew, ew to herself.  I think her eating habits align with my Dad.  She is also the much loved "baby" of the family and knows how to work this angle.  Also, she's second thinking even coming on the trip as I've informed her about the immunizations needed.

Hmm, there isn't really anything else to add, other than my Mom is planning on bringing an extra suitcase entirely filled with granola bars......


1 comment:

  1. I love it! Can't wait until I go on your NEXT trip to India with you! You know, when Poohpers is older and we can ditch her and your hubby and go shopping...

    ReplyDelete